Wednesday, December 03, 2008

The Great Big Veg Challenge school lunches - Edamame Bean and Potato Frittata

 

I thought I had seen it all early this year with the four year old ordered by his Gucci-clad Mama to take part in a diary synchronisation meeting whilst in the sandpit of Holland Park. But on the weekend I visited the new mammoth Westfield Shopping Centre where I saw two mothers, who looked as if they were cacooned in cashmere, eating lunch with their two 18 month old babies. Each baby had their own portable DVD player enabling their mothers to discuss the effects of the credit crunch on their Jimmy Choo buying habits uninterrupted by tiresome infant noises. And the two babies sat mouths open, eyes staring blankly at their DVD entertainment which was propped up on the table in front of them. What hope is there for humanity I thought, if two Mums can't even be bothered to speak to their children during lunch. Desperate.
Anyway, I digress. This is my latest cheap school lunch creation, which scored a healthy 9 out of 10 from Alexandra and an 8 from Freddie. Each tortilla which I baked in a silicone large muffin tray costs about 25p to make. Now I am thinking I might branch out and make new combinations - any ideas? The trick is to include potato because they hold their shape better. Otherwise they flop like a souffle.
 
Posted by Picasa

Edamame Bean and Potato Frittata.
6 large eggs
a small knob of butter
Freshly grated parmesan or parmeggiano
200g of potatoes, boiled and diced
200g of edamame beans
1 large onion
2 tbsp of olive oil

Cook the frozen edamame beans in boilking water for 4 minutes. Drain. Cook and finely dice the potatoes and then drain. Cook the finely diced onion in the olive oil on a medium heat until translucent and soft. Beat the eggs in a bowl with some asalt and pepper. Allowing the vegetables to cool down, distribute them equally in each of the muffin holes. (Having lightly oiled the muffin baking tray)Make sure they all have a decent amount of beans, potato and onion. Pour over the egg equally divided between each muffin hole. Srpinkle some parmesan on the top and then place in the oven at 180 for about 2o-25 minutes. They will rise and are ready when they are lightly golden brown. Eat hot or cold. Deliicious and cheap!

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:02 PM

    What lovely little frittatas Charlotte. And a great idea to use edamames. I've made a similar pea, mint & fetta combination. But was also thinking potato, rosemary and cherry tomato might work well.

    I've made these for easy breakfasts - when I'm on-the-run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asparagus would be lovely in this frittata as well..when in season of course:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:28 PM

    Thank you both BV and Kathryn.
    This is such a flexible lunch box dish - will be trying out the asparagus next year ...potato cherry tom and rosemary sounds good too

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like these a lot. I would serve them at a dinner party along side a nice green salad, as an alternative to the ubiquitous warm goat cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:40 PM

    I make something similar using rice instead of potato. I like to add cheese, green chilies, tomato, onion, and some cumin. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:05 AM

    What about chestnuts and sweet corn?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hiya tranger, great idea for the school lunch I have to say!

    Cheers
    David

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:15 PM

    Sarah in Indiana - tell me more. how do you make yours with rice. i know they need the substance such as potato so they dont flop.
    David _ thanks. The kids love them and they are cheap to make.

    Murasaki Shikibu - Thank you fgor that idea - do you make them often?
    Lori Lynn - yes they would work well - its good finger food for a buffet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love potato, leek, tomato and a little sprinkling of blue cheese or whatever cheese you like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:32 AM

    The rice kind I make are more dense, I think. I found this recipe once when I had a tons and tons of leftover seasoned rice, of the kind we call Spanish rice in the US. (Don't know how 'Spanish' it is or if it's called that anywhere else.) Anyway, it wouldn't work for fried rice or rice pudding like that, and we were sick of it, so this worked beautifully.

    http://www.recipezaar.com/leftover-rice-muffins-42245

    Basically I just took it as a starting idea. I use full size muffin tins rather than mini-muffins and bake them for 20-25 minutes. I use a ratio of about 1 egg, 1/2 cup cheese, and 1 cup of other ingredients--chopped veggies of whatever kind I have or wish to use up. I've made them many different ways since the Spanish rice version, and since my husband loves anything with eggs and cheese, they've always been a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:34 AM

    These sound great. I'm sure I'd love these.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous3:53 AM

    Hi Charlotte!
    What do you do with the butter in this recipe?
    Thanks in advance!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Charlotte - here to wish you and the gang happy holidays and a wonderful 2009!
    Lori Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous11:19 AM

    Rebecca - Sorry to be so slow in responding. Christmas has been getting in the way of the blog. The butter is an oversight.It was an either or - if you prefer the taste of butter in which to saute the onions....then replace that in stead of the olive oil. My mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:15 AM

    I agree with Murasaki Shikibu. I like the sweet corn combination. You can even mix it with mashed pumpkin. :)

    ReplyDelete

We always love to read your comments - thank you